Mon, Wed, Thurs: Noon – 8pm
Tue & Sat: 9am – 5pm
Fri & Sun: Closed
This library has an after-hours drop box.
The Linden Library Board hosts an annual book sale at the library. Current Board members are Michael Blackwood, John Collins, Danielle Cusson, Kelley Dietz, Sarah Gebhart, Joel Pounds, Rory Rourke, and Fran Trecha. You may contact members by calling 810-735-7700.
The Linden Library has been located in the historic Linden Mill since 1961. Built around 1850, the mill was the first structure in Genesee County to be placed on the national register of historic places. The grist mill operated until 1956 and later was purchased by the Village of Linden (now city) for use as municipal offices and a future library. The library was previously located in the Linden Village Hall from 1941-1961 and in a school basement from 1937-1941.
The library was founded in 1937 by a group of citizens and run by a rotating volunteer staff until 1941 when Decola Jepson became the first librarian. In 1944 the library became associated with the recently formed Genesee County Library system (which provided the librarian’s salary and some books) while remaining otherwise independent. In 1961, shortly after moving into the mill, the library became a full member of the county system.
In 1979 Genesee County Library became Genesee District Library, an independent entity, when voters approved a .7 mill property assessment. In 1984, the Linden Library was the first GDL branch to go online.
Linden’s librarian is John Ekleberry who has worked for GDL since 1998. Previous librarians include Sue Misra (now senior librarian at GDL’s Davison Area branch), Hans Norbotten (now enjoying retirement and still occasionally wearing bow ties), Helen Yiannatji, Carol Day, Janice Bigelow and Decola Jepson.
1. Through the Years in Genesee: an Illustrated History (1985) by Alice Lethbridge
2. Linden Grist Mill Architectural Assessment Report (2015) by John Dziurman Architects Ltd.
View online at http://www.lindenmi.us/images/Report.pdf to learn more about past and future renovations of the Linden Mill.