Mon & Tue & Wed: noon – 8pm
Thurs: 10am – 6pm
Fri & Sun: Closed
Sat: 9am – 5pm
This library has an after hours drop box.
Address: 10237 Hegel Rd., Goodrich, MI 48438 (view map)
Send Us an Email
The Friends of the Goodrich Library meet the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm in the Community Room above the library. We raise funds to support our librarian’s programs and activities, as well as buy furniture and other things that are needed to make our library a welcoming and efficient place to visit. There are no membership dues and all interested can come and share in the effort. The more people we have, the more we can do to support and promote our library and continue providing our community with a wonderful resource. Bring your ideas and enthusiasm to our next meeting! Everyone is welcome and there are several ways you can support our activities. Workers are needed to sort and organize books, help with sales, and assist with advertising.
We participate in Good Times in Goodrich in the park. We also host book sales, kids’ craft, and serve refreshments during the annual Christmas in the Village event in December. Please stop by the branch to inquire about upcoming events.
We would love to see you at our meetings, book sales and programs!
In 1877 the Goodrich Ladies Association raised money to create a library in the Village of Goodrich. These 21 pioneer ladies held ice cream socials, a strawberry festival, and a series of amateur plays to raise enough money to rent a room and some chairs. They started the Goodrich Ladies Library with just six books in a rented room that cost them $15.00 per year. All of the books were either borrowed or donated. The Goodrich Ladies Library was open only two hours every other Saturday and members were charged 10 cents per month for the privilege of checking out books.
In 1883 the Goodrich Ladies Association purchased the small white building down the block from the current library. The tiny one-room building was 15’ x 25’ (about the size of a small, single-car garage), had no plumbing, and was so cold in the winter that the librarians were forced to wear their boots and gloves indoors.
In 1950 the library was in jeopardy of closing due to lack of funding and lack of interest. The librarians were unpaid and there was only money to acquire and maintain books. The librarian at the time contacted the State Library of Michigan, who directed her to the Genesee County Library (now Genesee District Library) for assistance. After much negotiation, and on the 75th anniversary of the start of the Goodrich Ladies Library, they joined the Genesee County Library system. With the help of some community organizations the building was equipped with heat and electricity for the first time.
In 1980 the library was moved to the current location, which was previously the town hall. In June of 1980, students from Reid Elementary participated in a “book parade” to move the books from the old building to the current one. In 1982 the library was equipped with an elevator. The previous library building now houses the Goodrich Historical Society.
The current location of the Goodrich Library was built in 1897 and was formerly the Atlas Town Hall. The building is two stories tall and silent movies used to be shown in the upper level. Now the upper level is used for programs and can house 80 people comfortably. The sign hanging out front also calls the building a “lyceum,” which means public meeting place. In a more strict definition, it includes places where lectures or other events are held.