Mon: 9am – 9pm
Tue & Thurs: 10am – 6pm
Fri & Sun: Closed
Wed: Noon – 8pm
Sat: 9am – 5pm
This library has an after hours drop box.
Address: 4012 E Atherton Rd., Burton, MI 48519 (view map)
Send Us an Email
The group holds four book sales throughout the year during the last weekends of January, April, July and October on Thursdays from noon-6pm, and Saturdays from 9-3pm. Burton Memorial accepts book donations during normal library hours. You may contact them by calling 810-742-0674.
On July 12, 1944, the Burton Library opened in the Burton Township office. It was open 18 hours per week and Dollie Thompson was the librarian. On May 25, 1949, the Burton Library moved to a new room on the second floor of the township office building.
In July of 1962 the Burton Memorial Library was opened. It was located in the building previously occupied by the Township, which was moved to its current site on the corner of Atherton and Center roads. The library building, which had been a meeting hall and a one-room schoolhouse, was originally farther up Center Road near Lippincott Blvd. At that time a bookmobile distributed books to people in the area.
In 1995, with help from a Federal Library Services and Construction Act grant, the City of Burton built an addition on the Burton Memorial Library, doubling its size.
Rudy and Mary Webb lived next door to the library and were instrumental in getting the library millage passed. The Webb family also made sure that the library property now includes the land where their home used to stand.
In 1976 the Friends group was started to support the library. The Friends group has volunteered 200 hours and a great deal of effort to maintain the library. They cleaned, power washed, scraped, painted, and trimmed bushes.
Compiled from notes from several people involved with the Friends,
Sadonna G. Myers
Pres. of Friends of Burton Mem. Library