About the Library
- 9 computers available for public use
- Fax and copy service
- Free Wi-Fi
- Children's Area
- Nice collection of Teen/Junior Fiction books
- Large selection of paperbacks, cookbooks, and gardening books
- Newly remodeled in June 2013
Friends of the Library
The group holds several book sales throughout the year. You may contact them at 810-732-9150.
The Genesee County Board of Supervisors passed a resolution establishing the Genesee County Library in 1942.
In 1944 the Utley branch was opened, though prior to that those residents had been served by the Utley bookmobile. The library was located in the Flint Township Hall but was sponsored by the Utley Community Center. Four volunteers staffed the library, which was only open three hours a week. On January 21, 1946 the volunteer librarians went on the payroll and hours increased to nine per week.
On January 18, 1969 the Utley Library closed because the building was condemned, and the library building was moved to Crossroads Village. In 1977 a library was opened in the back portion of the Flint Township Office on Dye Road.
In 1979 Genesee County voters approved a .7 mill property assessment. This was used to create and operate the Genesee District Library as an independent entity.
In 1980 Flint Township built a combined Senior Citizen’s Activity Center and library called the McCarty Library. It was named after Katie McCarty, a librarian and avid supporter of libraries in Flint Township.
In 1988 approximately 800 square feet were added to the library. The library was remodeled in 2013 with fresh paint, new carpet, and an improved layout. The building is operated and maintained by Flint Township.
The Friends of the Library group is active and holds used book sales throughout the year.