Branch Librarian: Chris Heron
Hours & Contact Info
Mon & Wed: 10am - 6pm
This library has an after hours drop box.
About the Library
Friends of the Library
The group holds an ongoing book sale on a cart in the lobby. You may contact them by calling 810-629-7612.
The first library in Fenton was named the A.J. Phillips Library and was dedicated in January 1906. Mr. Phillips made the building bequest and donated $500 for books. In order to support the library, the City of Fenton asked voters to approve a .5 millage which they approved in 1905. The first library board was also appointed that year.
In 1922 Ella Williams, the first librarian, started a card catalog with help from the State Library.
In 1962 an addition was built onto the library. The A.J. Phillips Library joined the Genesee County Library system in 1967 and Margaret Renwick was the librarian. Furniture in the current building is dedicated in honor of her 30 years of service.
In 1987, the library moved into the former U.S. Post Office that was built in 1938 with New Deal funding. It was awarded the Michigan Municipal Achievement Award in 1988. The former library building now houses the A. J. Phillips Fenton Museum and Historical Society.
The renovation of the lower level of the library and subsequent grand opening of the Fenton Children’s Center was held in 1999.
In 2002 the A.J. Phillips Library was rededicated in memory of Jack R. Winegarden, a longtime library services advocate and chairman of the Genesee District Library Board.
Throughout this decade the lower level experienced many floods due to a variety of environmental and structural issues. Planning began for an updated library.
A $450,000 renovation occurred in 2015 and was funded by the City of Fenton, the DDA, the Friends of the Fenton Library and generous donations from residents including businessman Gerry Willey.
The Fenton Library Board had two chairpersons during this time, Wayne Tucker and Bobbi Sweetman.
Many wonderful programs were offered at the Fenton library during these years including the Spooky Tea party, the Poet’s Café, Guest Reader story times featuring teachers from the Fenton Area Public Schools, special literature and contemporary culture themed parties (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Angry Birds, and Pirates), and visits with authors such as Jonathan Rand, Harlan Coben, and Alexander McCall Smith. Librarians at the branch during this time period were Marilyn Brown, Marian Hesse, and Christine Heron.