About the Library
- 14 computers available for public use, including 4 for children
- Fax and copy service
- Free Wi-Fi
- Self check-out station
- Large selection of DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs
- Nice selection of graphic novels
- Nice selection of large print books
- Collection of Wii, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 & Nintendo DS games
- Language books on CD
- Playaway and Playaway Views for children and adults
Davison Library Board
The board holds book sales throughout the year. Book donations can be made during normal library hours. You may contact them by calling 810-412-8179.
The Davison Library was established in 1893. There had been a reading circle in town which was considered to be the “nucleus of cultural life” in Davison in the 1880s. The first library was located on the southeast corner of Mill and Main streets in a small, white house known as The Ladies Library. Mrs. I.T. Hurd was the librarian. The building closed with the death of the owner, O.K. Hathaway.
With Woolley taking over and moving the original library, Davison was without such an amenity for many years. During World War II, when residents were working long hours, they requested that a library replace the bookmobile, which had been coming to Davison since 1943.
The city council responded by opening a library in the fire hall, which was on the west side of Main Street. Alvin Kluender and his high school shop class remodeled the area, with the help of Donald Smith. The Davison branch of the Genesee County Library opened January 15, 1944 and the librarian, Mrs. Melvin Hall, checked out 126 books that day.
In February 1947 the library was moved to the town hall. Bessie Pettingil was the librarian from 1947 until 1953. In February 1951 the library moved to rooms occupied by city offices. On January 31, 1956 the building that included the library was damaged by fire, and the library closed on February 9, 1956. In May, Miss Olmstead attended a meeting with members of the Community Council to discuss building a new library.
The Davison Jaycees and Rodney Collins erected a small building on Fourth Street near the present library site. This served as the library until the new building was constructed in 1967-1968.
Then City Councilman Donald C. Ruschman spearheaded the new library drive in 1965. On February 18, 1965, he was named chairman of the Citizens Advisory Committee and Oliver Ude was named chairman of the Library Sponsors Committee.
Residents of the city of Davison, Davison Township and Richfield Township approved a millage for the new building and many area residents contributed their time and money toward the effort.
The new Davison Area Library opened in late February, 1968 and was dedicated May 19, 1968.