Rules and Regulations
To maintain a pleasant environment for all our library patrons, the Genesee District Library Board of Trustees has adopted the following Code of Conduct.
1. Tobacco or tobacco products may not be used in the library. If a library is located in a shared facility, the rules adopted by the owner of the shared facility apply.
2. Library patrons may not possess, consume or be under the influence of any intoxicant or controlled substance (except as may be authorized by prescription).
3. All weapons are banned from Library premises to the fullest extent permitted by law.
4. Patrons may not disturb others in any manner. Patrons may not behave in a rowdy manner, stare at another person, follow another person about the building, play audio equipment so that others can hear it, sing or talk loudly, use profane or abusive language, or behave in any manner that can reasonably be expected to disturb others.
5. Patrons may not display materials or make verbal comments or gestures that might reasonably be expected to offend to harass others.
6. Patrons need to be respectful of library furnishings including library equipment and materials. Users may not deface, mark on, or mutilate any library furnishings, materials, or equipment. Users shall not remove or attempt to remove any library materials without first checking them out.
7. Patrons need to dress in an appropriate manner. Shoes (or other footwear) and shirts are required at all times for hygiene and safety purposes.
8. Beverages in a covered container are permitted at computer workstations. Food may only be consumed in small amounts or in connection with events sponsored by the Library.
9. Patrons may only use cell phones in designated areas (if available). Cell phone users need to turn ringers and the “push to talk” feature off when they enter the Library.
10. Patrons may not take photographs or videotapes on library premises without the permission of the Librarian or designee and the permission of all those photographed. Parents or guardians need to give permission for their minor children.
11. Patrons may not sleep for more than 15 minutes.
12. Patrons may not use restroom facilities for washing or drying clothes, bathing, shaving, or any other purpose that might reasonably be considered inappropriate.
13. Patrons may not disturb library patrons and staff; interfere with other library patrons’ or staff members’ use of the facilities through extremely poor personal hygiene.
14. People may not use roller blades, roller skates, or skateboards in library parking lots, sidewalks or porches.
15. People may not solicit or beg in the library.
16. Only animals needed for library programs and service animals are allowed in the library.
17. Patrons may not enter an area that is designated “Staff only”. Patrons may not remain in the Library after closing time or after a request to leave, including emergencies and evacuation drills.
18. Patrons must follow library procedures when instructed to do so by library staff.
19. Patrons must provide identification when requested by library staff.
20. Patrons may not violate any local ordinance, state or federal law.
Any person who violates these rules and regulations may be denied access to the library and to library services by the Librarian or designee upon notice for a period commensurate with the infraction. Library employees will contact the police when necessary.
Any person denied access to the Library or its services may appeal the denial to the Library Director. If the appeal is not resolved by the Director, it may be submitted in writing to the Library Board.
The Library Board will provide the person with an opportunity to be heard before deciding the appeal.