flushingBranch Librarian: Faye Gulley

Hours & Contact Info

Mon & Wed: 10am - 6pm
Tue & Thurs: Noon - 8pm
Fri & Sun: Closed
Sat: 9am - 5pm

This library has an after hours drop box.

Phone: 810-659-9755
Fax: 810-659-1781
Address: 120 N Maple St., Flushing, MI 48433 (view map)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

About the Library

  • 11 computers available for public use 
  • Fax and copy service
  • Free Wi-Fi
  • Extensive Large Print collection
  • Drop box will be locked during scheduled holidays.

Friends of the Library

The group holds book sales throughout the year. You may contact them by calling 810-659-9755.


In 1873 the Ladies Library Association was formed to provide services to Flushing. The association had 52 members and purchased 41 books. The Ladies Library Association provided services in a rented room in downtown Flushing. In 1905 the Ladies Library Association disbanded.

In 1913 library services were returned to Flushing. The Tuesday Club opened a library in rooms on the second floor of the People’s State Bank in downtown Flushing. The library remained in that building until 1933.

In 1933 the Flushing Township Board took over management of the library. The library was renamed the Flushing Township Public Library. The library was moved into the west wing of the old Presbyterian Church on Main Street. 

Marian Packard financed the remodel of the building in 1940 and the dedication was in November. A bookmobile was started to serve rural areas in the township.

Flora Bate, the first full time librarian, held that position until 1944. Ella Kitchenmaster followed and was the librarian until 1955 when Marian Anderson became the librarian. Elliott Horton was the last librarian of the independent Flushing Library. In 1964, the library established the Marian Packard Adult Reading Room.

The library became part of the County Library System in 1966. The library was located in the building with the city offices on Main Street.

In 1990 there was an unsuccessful millage vote for a new library and senior center.  
The Duramold building, an empty manufacturing plant at the corner of Maple and Elm streets was purchased by Flushing City and Flushing Township in 1991. The building was renovated to house the Flushing Library and the Flushing Senior Center and opened on March 23, 1991. The Flushing Area Library occupies 3,400 square feet of space in the building.

The library was renovated in the late 1990s with a new circulation desk and carpeting. The circulation desk was moved from near the front entrance to its present location in front of the remodeled office. 

The Flushing Library received a self- checkout terminal in 2001.

In 2007 an unsuccessful millage proposal was put on the ballot to fund the renovation of the former Flushing City Hall into a library.

In May 2013 the Flushing Area Library was remodeled. The library received new carpeting, tile and paint, and the circulation desk was refinished.



Upcoming Events


Want the best of GDL in your inbox?

Subscribe Now


Follow Us / Like Us