Branch Librarian: Heather VanFleet
Hours & Contact Info
Mon: 10am - 6pm
Tue & Wed: Noon - 8pm
Thur & Sun: Closed
Fri & Sat: 9am - 5pm
Address: 685 Van Buren Ave., Mt. Morris, MI 48458 (view map)
About the Library
- 10 computers available for public use
- Fax and copy service
- Free Wi-Fi
- Excellent Urban Fiction, Amish Fiction, Classics and Children's Collections
- Community Room - Please call the City of Mt. Morris at 810-686-2160 to rent the room.
Friends of the Library
The group holds book sales throughout the year. You may contact them by calling 810-686-6120.
The Mt. Morris Thursday Club opened and operated a small public library located in a room above the downtown State Bank Building in 1935. It was not until 20 years later, on October 4, 1955, that the Mt. Morris Library joined the already established County Library System, a consortium that was created by the Genesee County Board of Supervisors on November 2, 1942.
By 1957 the Mt. Morris Library had outgrown that small room, and so in May of that year the Lions Club arranged to build an addition to City Hall. On May 24, 1957 the Mt. Morris Library moved into its new quarters. On October 12, 1969 the Mt. Morris Library once again changed locations, moving back to the old State Bank Building. This time the Library was located on the main floor of the building rather than upstairs where it had been previously.
Although the new space was larger and more conveniently located, there was no parking at this location. By 1973 plans were in the works for a new building to be built. Before this plan could be realized the city tore down the State Bank Building leaving the library temporarily located in the basement of St. Mary’s School.
On February 3, 1974 the city of Mt. Morris dedicated a new building, located on Van Buren Ave., where it has been located ever since.